Sunday, October 4, 2015

Wheels are Spinning Again!

So much for trying to keep up with this blog over the Summer.  But, I have been doing tons of fun things around the house and cottage.  One of those is getting back to the spinning wheel-finally. And you know what? I have really started to enjoy it all over again!

It started with actually, get this, USING my handspun for a change. For years I have done bits and pieces of rovings but never felt they were good enough or had enough yardage to actually stitch up.  Lately you may have noticed more knitwear patterns being designed with hand spinners in mind. (Yay!) I love being able to weigh my yarn and plan/knit accordingly. Here is a close up of part of my Piper's Journey shawl. I love wearing it! Now I want to use up all my handspun. It's rough having to choose between spinning more yarn and knitting up what is already done!



Then I was encouraged to join a spinning study group online. This amazing group of people range in skills from 2 weeks to 2+ decades of experience. Each month anew set of "challenges" is released. These include spinning techniques as well as sampling specific breeds of fiber. I have only had time to try my hand and wheel at a couple but look forward to being involved more this Winter!
Worsted spinning is my default. But it's been years since working on a traditional 3-ply. For this skein, my friend Peggy (of The 100th Sheep) helped me dye up 6oz of superfine merino. We split the roving into thirds and dyed each a slightly different shade. I spun each individually then plied them together to give a tweedy look in the end.
Fractal spinning has intrigued me for some time.  There are many videos and blogs on the way to do this but essentially its a way to manage color in spinning. Mine is a 2-ply, again made with some of the 100th Sheep roving.  This one is a wonderful color way called Monhegan Island. Not sure what it will become but right now I'm enjoying just looking at it!

                          
The challenge for September was spinning a fine yarn. We are supposed to spin 2 oz worth, so I won't be completing this time. I chose a heavenly alpaca, angora, silk roving blended by my friend Kathleen of Prairie's Edge Farm. She and I agreed this MUST be a super light, lacy thread. So I am trying my hand at a supported spindle. So far I am very much liking the process! More on this project in the future I am sure. But here's a peek...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to Join the Discussion...