Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mozzarella Success!

One of the most magical things in the world is watching the transformation of "plain" old milk into cheese!  It amazes me that with a few very similar ingredients you can make so many very different types of cheeses.  I know just enough to make a real mess in my kitchen, but I keep trying.  The last few batches of mozzarella had been, well, okay, but not the fantastic creation I knew it could be.



So, today I made my next attempt.  The crazy thing about cheese making is the wait to see if it turns out the way you want it to.  Fortunately with mozzarella the wait is short.  The curds looked good, the whey clear and then the magic of stretching it (like taffy if you can imagine).  And this time...


Success!  You have not tasted mozzarella until you have it fresh and warm.  The garden is finally producing an abundance of tomatoes which means fresh, homemade sauce---I can taste the pizza already! 

Want to try it for yourself?  New England Cheesemaking Supply Company  has a lot of information for beginners including Ricki Carroll's book Home Cheese Making with all the recipes.

One warning ... like all the other hobbies I have, this one is addictive too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to Join the Discussion...